Course Closed. Reopening on Wednesday December 2nd. We will be members only until Monday 14th December. Visitors MUST read the guidelines, found under the COVID-19 tab on our website, before booking.

(updated 24 November at 07:28)

Hardy A Cup Final v Weymouth Leg 2

Came Down hosted Weymouth Golf Club for the second leg of the Hardy A Cup Final. After getting a 4-4 draw in the first match, Came Down were quietly confident of getting over the line, especially with the westerly wind blowing across the course.

Matt Lawes teed up first and had a fantastic tussle to give him the perfect opportunity to put the first point on the board, being 2up with 2 to play. However the Weymouth number 1 had other ideas, finishing birdie, par to secure a half.

Captain Ryan Ford was second and he was 1 down through 3 but after a couple of gifts from his opponent took the lead and never lost it. 1up at the turn, Ford then went through the gears with birdies on 12, 14 and 16 to secure a fabulous 3&2 win, but more importantly getting that first point on the board.

Mike Spearing was up third and raced into an early lead and was a couple up at the turn. He managed to match his opponent for the majority of the back 9 and importantly won the 16th to secure a 3&2 victory.

Alan Harris was up fourth and played most of his round a couple up. However a minor slip on 14, 15 and 16 made the match 1 down. Alan found the pit on 17 off the tee but produced an incredible up and down to make birdie and go up the last all square. However a calamity of errors from both players down the 18th with both players producing sixes to share a halved match.

With the match poised at 3-1, Steve Wells was off fifth playing a scratch match. This was a very tight affair, but Steve secured wins up 14 and 16 to lead 2 up with 2 to play. However his opponent had other ideas and drove the 17th for the simplest of birdies to take the match up the last. Both players shared a five on the 18th giving Steve a well-earned 1up win.

With Came needing just a half point to secure the match and the cup, Stuart Chainey was feeling in demolition mode and put together a golfing master class that secured him the club champs earlier this summer by winning 6&4.

With the match secured, it was now a matter of how many against our local rivals. Ben Tyrrell had a 100% record to maintain, and this looked in danger when he went 3 down after 7. But a birdie up the 8th put him back on track but was still 1 down on the 16th tee. However Ben won 16, 17 and the 18th to secure a 2up win. Came Down’s 6th point and maintained his 100% record of the season with by winning 11/11 games. An incredible achievement.

The ever reliable Dan Whitehead took the tail end position and was having a fantastic duel at the end. Dan took the lead with a birdie up the 14th and managed to get to the last 1up.  With his opponent in the hole for four, Dan had a 12 footer for a half and to win his match. The ball never looked like missing and gave him a 1up win.

Came Down had won the Cup 7-1 on the day and 11-5 on aggregate. This was the first time they had achieved the Hardy A Cup in their history.

Massive congratulations also go to Gareth Hughes, Geraint Hughes, Brian Hansford and Chris Skinner who all contributed wins in the earlier rounds to get us into this position.

A big thank you to all the spectators who came out to support us, including the club president and club captain. And a final thank you to Charlie Mac for starting the boys off and continued support to the club teams.

Ryan takes his team to Crane Valley on Saturday 28th September for a League Championship shootout in a winner takes all match. We wish them the very best of luck in completing the League and Cup double.



More “Latest News