Course Closed. Reopening on Wednesday December 2nd. We will be members only until Monday 14th December. Visitors MUST read the guidelines, found under the COVID-19 tab on our website, before booking.

(updated 24 November at 07:28)

Stoke Salver Final v Weymouth

Match Report

Yeovil Golf Club hosted the final of this year’s Stoke Salver competition. The weather was overcast, fresh and quite breezy for the morning foursomes.

Sean Dimmick and Matt Walker took their undefeated record to the final and didn’t disappoint with a very commanding 4&3 victory. The Stickley brothers went second and played a fantastic game with Mark hitting his approach to three inches on the last to secure a birdie and a 1up victory.

Geraint Hughes and Mike Spearing went third and played their Assistant Pro and most experienced player and although playing well, were defeated 5&4. Ryan Ford and Gareth Hughes uncharacteristically failed to gel for the first 6 holes and found themselves 4 down. But after a run of birdies in the middle sector and an incredible bunker hole-out from Ryan, they managed to pull the game back to all square. However, Weymouth’s young lad hit two incredible 3 woods on the 15th and 16th hole to set up winning chances, which they converted and Ryan and Gareth lost 2&1 for their first loss of the year.

With the match at 2-2, Weymouth held the advantage by winning more morning holes in the foursomes, meaning Came required 4.5 points from 8 in the afternoon to win the Stoke Salver for the first time since 2001.

Matt took the lead and although started strong, his knee began to seize up and battled hard but unfortunately suffered his first loss of the season. Sean followed suit and held a 3up lead after 9 but some incredible golf from his opponent lead to Weymouth’s second point of the afternoon.

Gareth, Ryan and Captain Mark were next in the batting order and all battled very hard but couldn’t find that magical inspiration that Europe showed that same day in the Ryder Cup, as all players grinded very hard to achieve a halved match. This meant Came had to win the remaining three matches to secure victory.

Alan was next, and although playing some great golf, came up against some exquisite putting that secured Weymouth the point they required to win the match and the tie.

Geraint and Mike were fantastic on the tail-end and both played some wonderful golf to win 3&2 and 2&1 respectively.

Weymouth had won the Stoke Salver 6.5-5.5 but had to work very hard to do so.

Congratulations to all our players that put in a great performance on the day and throughout the previous rounds.

Many thanks go to the other three players that represented us this year, Chris Skinner, Hugh Lawes and Martin Aylett for helping the team progress through the early rounds. Thanks also to Stuart and Fran who supported the boys during the morning foursomes.

And finally a special mention to Charlie McIntyre who has been there to watch the boys in every round and helped caddy for Matt in the morning and Ryan and Mark in the afternoon.

Not the result we set out to achieve in the morning but a very valiant effort. Hopefully Came can go one step further next season. Well done to all involved.


More “Latest News